This summer we are looking for student leaders to assist with our summer housing operations as Summer Assistants (SAs). SAs are available as additional support to the building and staff for summer operations. They will serve on a floor with summer guests or residents and provide excellent customer service. This includes assisting in buildings that house summer residents, interns, summer conference guests, or all three.
All Summer Assistants are required to assist with communicating expectations, participating in the duty rotation, facilitating community, and working on assigned projects. Depending on the building or area that SAs are assigned, additional work creating linen packets, staffing the front desk, and completing regular room checks is required. Additionally, SAs are required to assist in all buildings, not only the building or area they are assigned to for duty purposes.
How to Apply
All candidates must either complete the online Info Session or attend an in-person Info Session. Candidates will receive a link to apply online 48-72 hours after they complete the online module or attend a session and can begin the module by following the link below.
If you would like to attend an in-person session, here are the dates and times:
Monday, March 18th at 7:00PM
Summer Assistant Information Session #1
First Floor Community Room
Tuesday, March 19th at 5:30PM
Summer Assistant Information Session #2
Towers Residential Suites
First Floor Living Room
Thursday, March 21st at 4:30PM
Summer Assistant Information Session #3
(final info session!)
Anthony Wayne Drive Apts
First Floor Community Room
After the Information Session is completed, those interested in working on campus this summer with Housing and Residential Life will apply online. The application will ask for:
- General information, including GPA, conduct information, graduation information, etc.
- Updated resume (PDF format)
- Please refer to the Career Services center for resume information before submitting as needed
We are requesting that applicants secure two references that can speak to your team work, communication, and customer service skills. Please have two individuals submit the Summer Assistant Reference Form no later than Monday, March 25th, 2019 at 11:59PM. References will be reviewed and taken into consideration as we make interview and position offers.
Your references can receive the link at any time (even before you attend an info session or submit your application!). Please ensure that you provide references with enough time to complete the form. It is recommended that you inform them of this ahead of time.
Application and references are both due no later than Monday, March 25th, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Interview offers will be sent via WSU email no later than Wednesday, March 27th, 2019.
General Requirements – Summer Assistant (SA) Applicants
- Applicants MUST move from their fall housing assignment to their specific summer assignment; staff will not be permitted to reside in their winter space or move early to their fall space.
- Applicants MUST participate in the complete SA selection process including attending an information session or completing the online info module, submitting an application, participating in the interview process, and by attending the mandatory training sessions. Failure to complete one or multiple parts of the process will impact eligibility.
- Applicants must be taking classes in Fall 2019 to be eligible for the position.
- Must maintain full-time undergraduate (minimum 12 credit hours)/graduate (minimum 8 credit hours) student status with a cumulative and semester GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students or 3.0 for graduate students for the duration of employment beginning at selection.
- Must obtain at least 24 credits by the end of the Fall/Winter semester prior to appointment.
- Must commit one full summer to the position. Closed dates vary by building and time of summer. Supervisors approve all time away. No time away is approved for last two weeks of the position in all buildings.
- Must be in good financial standing with the University and the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must not be on disciplinary probation through the Dean of Students Office or on housing probation through the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must submit to, and pass, a formal background check through the Wayne State University Police Department.
- Must complete and sign a housing license agreement for the summer in which a student is employed.
- No prior on-campus living experience required.
Summer Assistant Position Timeline
Prior to submitting an application, all SAs must attend an Info Session or complete the online module. If you choose to complete an online module, please do so before Saturday, March 23rd at 12:00PM (noon). Candidates will be emailed the application link 48-72 hours after they participate in an Information Session.
Saturday, March 23rd|12:00PM (noon) – Last opportunity to complete the online Info Session.
Monday, March 25th | 11:59PM – Applications and references due
Tuesday, March 26th – Candidates updated on application status
Friday, March 29th – Interview Day 1 (candidates scheduled a time around academic requirements)
Monday, April 1st – Interview Day 2 (candidates scheduled a time around academic requirements)
Thursday, April 4th – Candidates updated on selection status
Monday, April 8th | 12:00PM (noon) – Conditions of Appointment DUE
Friday, April 12th - HR On Site Day (drop in/times TBD | all accepted SAs must attend)
Friday, April 19th – Last day to finalize hiring paperwork & accept background check
Friday, May 3rd – Beginning of Summer Assistant agreement
Friday, May 3rd-Sunday, May 5th – Summer Assistant Training (all SAs must attend)
Saturday, August 10th – End of Summer Assistant agreement for Fall Resident Advisors only
Friday, August 16th – End of Summer Assistant agreement