This summer we are looking for student leaders to assist with our summer housing operations
as Summer Assistants (SAs). SAs are available as additional support to the building and staff for
summer operations. They will serve on a floor with summer guests or residents and provide
excellent customer service. This includes assisting in buildings that house summer residents,
interns, summer conference guests, or all three.
All Summer Assistants are required to assist with communicating expectations, participating in
the duty rotation, facilitating community, and working on assigned projects. Depending on the
building or area that SAs are assigned, additional work creating linen packets, staffing the front
desk, and completing regular room checks is required. Additionally, SAs are required to assist in
all buildings, not only the building or area they are assigned to for duty purposes.
How to Apply
All candidates must either complete the online Info Module. Candidates will receive a link to
apply online after they complete the online module or attend a session and can begin the
module by following the link below.
To complete an online module, follow this link:
After the Information Module is completed, those interested in working on campus this
summer with Housing and Residential Life will apply online. The application will ask for:
- General information, including GPA, conduct information, graduation information, etc.
- Updated resume (PDF format)
Your references can receive the link at any time (even before you attend an info session or
submit your application!). Please ensure that you provide references with enough time to
complete the form. It is recommended that you inform them of this ahead of time.
Application and references are both due no later than Friday, April 3rd, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Interview offers will be sent via WSU email no later than Monday, April 6th, 2020.
General Requirements – Summer Assistant (SA) Applicants
- Applicants MUST move from their fall housing assignment to their specific summer assignment; staff will not be permitted to reside in their winter space or move early to their fall space.
- Applicants MUST participate in the complete SA selection process including attending an information session or completing the online info module, submitting an application, participating in the interview process, and by attending the mandatory training sessions. Failure to complete one or multiple parts of the process will impact eligibility.
- Applicants must be taking classes in Fall 2019 to be eligible for the position.
- Must maintain full-time undergraduate (minimum 12 credit hours)/graduate (minimum 8 credit hours) student status with a cumulative and semester GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students or 3.0 for graduate students for the duration of employment beginning at the selection.
- Must obtain at least 24 credits by the end of the Fall/Winter semester prior to appointment.
- Must commit one full summer to the position. Closed dates vary by building and time of summer. Supervisors approve all time away. No time away is approved for the last two weeks of the position in all buildings.
- Must be in good financial standing with the University and the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must not be on disciplinary probation through the Dean of Students Office or on housing probation through the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must submit to, and pass, a formal background check through the Wayne State University Police Department.
- Must complete and sign a housing license agreement for the summer in which a student is employed.
- No prior on-campus living experience required.
Summer Assistant Position Timeline
Prior to submitting an application, all SAs must attend an Info Session or complete the online
module. If you choose to complete an online module, please do so before Friday, April 3 rd at
Friday, April 3rd | 11:59 PM – Applications due
Monday, April 26th – Candidates updated on application status
Wednesday, April 8th through Friday, April 10th– Interview Days
Monday, April 13th – Candidates updated on selection status
Wednesday, April 15th | 12:00 PM (noon) – Conditions of Appointment DUE
Friday, May 1 st – Beginning of Summer Assistant agreement
Friday, May 1 st – Wednesday, May 6th – Summer Assistant Training (all SAs must attend)
Saturday, August 15th – End of Summer Assistant agreement for Fall Resident Advisors only
Friday, August 22nd – End of Summer Assistant agreement