Moving information

Moving into residence halls and furnished apartments

Your assignment

  • Roommate information
  • Room swaps and wait-list
  • Meal plan change request
  • Early move-in request
  • Cancellation policy

Required steps to move-in

  • Check-in pass
  • Immunizations
  • Under-18 consent form
  • Renters insurance (Please check your personal policy and potentially add to family plan.)

The Office of Housing and Residential Life is excited that you have chosen to live in one of our Residence Halls or in our newly renovated Furnished Undergraduate Apartment Style Housing. We've created a Move-In Guide to assist with your transition to WSU and to simplify your move-in process. The Move-In Guide provides important information about what to bring, what to leave at home, safety and security, building security, and what to expect for your move-in day. Our Fall 2017 Move-In Guide will be mailed out with your assignments package. Housing assignments will go out mid-July.

Also take a look at the Residence Hall Community Living Guide for our complete list of policies and procedures that all campus residents must follow.

2017 Fall Move-In Schedule

Move-in times are listed below. Please adhere to your arrive time and day. By doing so you will help reduce congestion on the streets, buildings, and elevators on these two days.

August 25th Freshmen/Transfer Student Move-In

After 9:00am

6th Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
9th & 11th Floors of Towers

15th Floor of DeRoy

After 10:00am

5th Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
7th & 8th Floors of Towers

14th Floor of DeRoy
After 11:00am

4th Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
4th, 5th & 6th Floors of Towers

13th Floor of DeRoy

After 12:00pm

3rd Floors of Ghafari, Atchison, & Towers

12th Floor of DeRoy

After 1:00pm

2nd Floors of Ghafari, Atchison & Towers

11th Floor of DeRoy

After 2:00pm 10th Floor of DeRoy
3-4:30pm Open move-in for freshmen and transfer students

August 26th Upperclassmen Move-In

After 9:00am

10th &11th Floors of Towers
5th & 6th Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
15th Floor of DeRoy

4th Floor of Thompson Home

After 10:00am

9th Floor of Towers
4th Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
14th Floor of DeRoy

3rd Floor of Thompson Home

After 11am

7th & 8th Floors of Towers
2nd & 3rd Floors of Ghafari & Atchison
13th Floor of DeRoy

2nd Floor of Thompson Home

After 12:00pm

6th Floor of Towers
12th Floor of DeRoy

1st Floor of Thompson Home

After 1:00pm

4th & 5th Floors of Towers

11th Floor of DeRoy

After 2:00pm 10th Floor of DeRoy
3-4:30pm Open move-in for upperclassmen


All students MUST have their immunization record on file in the Campus Health Center prior to moving in. Immunizations records can be faxed to (313) 577-9581 or mailed to the Campus Health Center at 5200 Anthony Wayne Drive, Suite 115 Detroit, MI 48202. Download: Immunization form (PDF)

Check-In Pass

You must complete the Check-in Pass Module at the link below, in order to receive your check-in pass.Once you've finished the interactive session, which takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, you will receive your check-in pass via email. Note: You must provide your printed check-in pass to the staff of your assigned residence hall or apartment building in order to move in to your assigned space.

Click the following link to begin the Check-In Pass Process:

Prior to moving in, your fall housing balance must be paid in full.

Please refer to your student account on Academica for balance information. If you have issues concerning payment prior to move-in, you must contact Jeanine Bessette at 313-577-0741 or

Roommate information

Your roommate(s) information for the 2017-2018 academic year is available online by logging in to your housing account. You can log onto this site by using your AccessID and password. If you do not currently have an assigned roommate, you can check back periodically online to see if one has been assigned.

Please contact your roommate before move-in day to coordinate what to bring to avoid overcrowding in your room/suite. You may also want to begin discussing ground rules for your room or expectations you may have while living together. 

Room swaps and waitlist

Students who are unsatisfied with their assigned room may put themselves on a room/suite style waitlist for their desired room/suite type. To sign up for a waitlist, you must go to the housing website and fill out the Waitlist Form. All students completing a waitlist form will be placed on the list in the order of when their form is submitted. Once you are on a waitlist, and a room has become available, you will automatically be reassigned to that room. It is your responsibility to contact our office and let us know if you would like to be removed from a waitlist. We will do our best to accommodate waitlist requests until August 26th. **Please note the waitlist will not open until assignments are sent out in mid July.

Meal Plan Change Request

If you feel that there is an error in the meal plan that you selected, you can request to change it here before August 18thFall 2017 Meal Plan Change Request Form. The Open Meal Plan Change Period is also available for meal plan change requests after move in from September 16th through September 23rd. All first-year freshmen must select a Warrior Pass Plan (Warrior Pass 50, Warrior Pass 250, or Warrior Pass 400) or a Weekly 15 + 100. All other residence hall residents must have a Warrior Pass, Weekly 15 + 100,  Weekly 12 + 350, or Weekly 5 + 150.

Early Move-in Request

In the event that you have an academic or athletic commitment that requires you to move in prior to your specified date, you may visit the housing website and fill out the Early Move-in Request Form. Requests will be honored based on need and room availability. Students who are required to be on campus prior to their scheduled move in date for a university related reason will be charged an additional $20/night. Early move-in requests can start being submitted on July 14th.

Move In Guide

We have created a Move-in Guide with important information about what to bring to campus, what to leave at home, safety and security, and what to expect on move-in day. A copy of the Move-in Guide will be mailed to you and is valso available online (PDF).This information will prove very helpful in your transition to campus, so please take the time to review it.

Community Living Guide

The Community Living Guide (CLG) is the Office of Housing and Residential Life's official document that outlines all of the rules and regulations of living in university housing. The CLG also has important information about services offered in your building and other valuable resources to help make your stay on campus enjoyable and memorable. A paper copy of the CLG will be provided to all incoming freshman students and is also available online (PDF).

Renters Insurance

NSSI (National Student Services Inc.) is the leader in providing college student property insurance designed specifically for college students living on campus. Student laptops, smartphones, textbooks, and more are staples for college students, and they are expensive to replace when a theft or damage occurs. We encourage you to cover your belongings with a student property insurance policy to protect the tools you need to be successful in your education. More information is available at

Warrior Welcome Crew

Are you an upper class student? Have you lived on campus previously? Do you want to be a leader and meet new people? The Office of Housing and Residential Life is looking for volunteers for fall semester move-in. Volunteers may work check-in tables, assist students in moving their belongings to their rooms, direct traffic, and more!

As a volunteer you must attend an all-day training before move in and be available to work on on both the Saturday and Sunday of fall semester move-in. If you are selected you can move in early on the Thursday prior to move-in. Learn more!