2016-2020 Master Plan
With the ever-increasing number of students looking to live on campus, Housing and Residential Life has just completed a significant expansion that will bring some much-needed new campus accommodations.
Phases I and II began in May 2017 with the construction of the new Anthony Wayne Drive Apartments. Phase I was completed in August of 2018 with the opening of the 11 story tower. Phase II ended in July of 2109 when two new companion towers were opened.
Phase III included both the demolition of the Helen L. DeRoy Apartments and the "gut and rebuild" of the Chatsworth Apartments, and both started in summer 2019. Chatsworth Apartments, originally built in 1928, was reconfigured and completed in August 2020 as the new Chatsworth Suites.
The addition of 850+ new furnished apartment beds at Anthony Wayne Apartments and 360+ new suite-style beds in Chatsworth Suites are the next step in fostering student learning and success by creating more places for students to engage in intentional living-learning communities.
Anthony Wayne Drive Apartments
The Anthony Wayne Apartments provides living space for approximately 850 students. The new apartment complex boasts spacious lounge areas, additional green space, homey living environments, a variety of shops and is the new home of the Campus Health Center. With each area designed to enhance the student experience, this new community is a place for residents to practice social and group development as members of a diverse group of Wayne State learners.
Watch the project come to life on our construction camera timelapse!
- The Anthony Wayne Apartments have efficiency (studio), one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and four-bedroom units.
- The new apartments are furnished with a full kitchen, common space, and individual bedrooms with full-size beds.
- Each floor has multiple lounge areas, including study space, hangout areas, game rooms, and even a dance studio.
- There are two large community rooms on the first floor.
- The first floor will be home to retail space, including Leo's Coney Island, Tubby's Sub Shop, and 1000 Degree Pizzeria.
- There are three courtyard areas; one courtyard is open to the campus community, and two courtyards are reserved for resident use only.
- The new Campus Health Center is located on the first floor.
Chatsworth Apartments has transformed into Chatsworth Suites
In 1961, Chatsworth joined the Wayne State University campus as married student housing, and the university continued expansion around it. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The architectural icon —constructed in 1928 as an apartment building, underwent a significant facelift in 2020 that transformed the entire building.
As a primary feature of the overall campus housing facilities master plan, the Board of Governors approved the renovation plan in 2016.
During the renovation, Chatsworth underwent:
- Restoration of the exterior of the building.
- Full demolition and rebuilding of floors two through nine into suite-style housing.
- Restoration of the historic lobby and sitting room with their original character, and modernization of the other program spaces on the first floor for student study and community building.
- Replacement of five existing apartments on the mezzanine level with seven new apartments and a ramp that will be ADA accessible and compliant.