Resident Advisor selection
The Resident Advisor (RA) is a member of the Office of Housing and Residential Life team within the Division of Student Auxiliary Services. The Office is committed to a comprehensive Residential Life program – one that blends academic with co-curricular activities to create a total educational environment in which all residents are assisted and supported while increasing their ability to be successful. RA's are key links in creating this environment. The quality of their efforts has a significant, direct bearing upon the quality of life experienced by all members of the University community.
Under the leadership of Community Directors, Office Service Clerks, Assistant Director, Associate Directors, and the Director of Housing and Residential Life; the RA serves as a leader, role model, and liaison between the University and residents. In addition, the RA will be mentored and developed through training and on-going curricular activities in leadership theory and successful practice. In this position, you will be required to actively participate in developing a strong sense of community within your building, to coordinate engagement activities, to refer students to resources, and perform other responsibilities which will help promote the success of the students who live there. Your Community Director will assist and guide you in this process.
Please be reminded that to fill an RA position is contingent on maintaining good standing academically, judicially, and financially with Wayne State. You must be a full-time student (12 credit hrs. per semester as an undergraduate, 8 credit hrs. per semester as a graduate student) and maintain a cumulative/semester grade point average of at least 2.75 as an undergraduate or 3.0 as a graduate student.
- Applicants MUST attend one information fair. Applicants should plan to arrive on time.
- Applicants MUST participate in the RA selection process, including submitting an application, supplemental materials, and attending the group & individual interview days.
- A link to the application will be provided to all information fair attendees after each fair.
- Must maintain full-time undergraduate (min 12 credit hours)/graduate (min 8 credit hours) student status with a cumulative and semester GPA of 2.75 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduates for the duration of employment beginning of selection as an RA.
- Must obtain at least 24 credits by the end of the Fall/Winter semester prior to appointment.
- Must commit one full academic year to the position.
- Must be in good financial standing with the University and the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must not be on disciplinary probation through the Dean of Students Office or on housing probation through the Office of Housing and Residential Life.
- Must submit to, and pass, a formal background check through the Wayne State University Police Department.
- Must complete and sign a housing license agreement for the academic year in which a student is employed.
- No prior on-campus living experience required.
Any questions regarding Resident Advisor positions or the selection process please email WSU RA Selection.