Residents of Housing and Residential Life enter into a diverse and urban environment that challenges each individual to become responsible local and global leaders. We do this by creating a community centered around our four pillars: Academic Engagement & Success, Social Justice & Equity, Personal Responsibility & Development, and Warrior Pride.
Learning goals and narratives
Academic Engagement & Success
We align with the academic mission of the university and we promote academic success across our communities. Supporting academic and research excellence on campus in ways that include: connecting residents with a wide range of campus resources, organizing opportunities for study, fostering positive behaviors and skills that encourage retention and graduation.
Residents will be able to...
- prioritize and balance academics with other responsibilities.
- assess and address strengths and areas of growth within their own capacity to learn.
- develop and utilize critical thinking skills as well as locate on-and-off campus resources to support their academics.
- actively chart a path toward graduation and employment that encompasses their academic and extracurricular opportunities.
Social Justice & Equity
We align with the institutional mission of diversity and inclusion and appreciates the diverse community that is created on our campus through the identities and experiences of our residents. We foster open discussion and involvement opportunities related to identity and social justice. We define social justice as the development of an equitable society that works to remove barriers to access and increase representation. Housing and Residential Life will provide opportunities for our residents to actively engage in dialogue, learning, and embracing the wonderfully diverse population within our campus and surrounding community.
Residents will ...
- be able to demonstrate an understanding of the concepts and intersectionality of multiculturalism, diversity, and progressing toward and an understanding of social justice.
- gain an ability to reflect on the positionality of their identities in relation to social justice.
- be able to identify and express behaviors to promote social justice and equity within their community and beyond.
- be able to interrupt and challenge existing oppressive and bias behaviors that adversely impact underrepresented populations.
Personal Responsibility & Development
We recognize the growth and development that residents experience during their collegiate career. We will provide opportunities for students to reflect on and develop: decision-making abilities, life-skills, role as a neighbor and community member as a part of our residential experience. Additionally, residents will engage in a deeper understanding and positive approach to the multiple facets of comprehensive wellness.
- be able to actively reflect upon their experiences so they can improve their ability to make rational and mature decisions.
- be able to integrate life-skills such as creative problem solving, critical thinking, and mindfulness.
- be able to exhibit a positive approach to physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, social, and financial wellness.
- recognize the role they play as a neighbor in the development of a positive community.
Housing and Residential Life values community and campus engagement outside of the classroom as an important component of the student experience. We create pathways for students to become global citizens through their participation and interaction within the Wayne State University campus and the City of Detroit. It is through these intentional interactions our students will become lasting members and ambassadors of the Warrior community.
- connect with community organizations to learn about and serve the greater Wayne State campus and the City of Detroit.
- actively engage in school spirit initiatives to serve as ambassadors for school pride.
- engage in out of classroom experiences to better understand themselves and others.
- engage in extracurricular experiences to understand, support, and appreciate the endeavors with their peers and their community.
- apply themselves as global citizens through their experiences on-and-off campus.