The Thompson - CLOSED FALL 2020
Located across Cass Avenue from Old Main, the historic Thompson Home is part of the University's "Arts on Cass" project. Refurbished in 2016 with the fine, performing and communication arts in mind as "The Thompson," this residence hall contains specialized spaces throughout. Historic features such as fireplaces and a formal reception lounge have been preserved. Most rooms are doubles with three floors offering kitchenette and dining spaces and comfortable lounges with bay windows.
The Thompson is open exclusively to undergraduate students in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts (CFPCA). One floor is reserved for First-Year students who are interested in participating in CFPCA's First Year Living Learning Community.
At The Thompson, students in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts live together in a unique setting that fosters community with fellow creatives and supports students as they prepare for their professional futures.
The Thompson offers unique amenities that foster collaboration and learning for CFPCA students. These include:
- Community room with sprung floor, mobile projection equipment, and storage areas
- Gallery space with directional lighting
- A collaborative room with floor-to-ceiling writing wall, mobile tables, and projection equipment
- Multi-station video editing studio
- Sound insulated practice booths
Building staff information
- 1 full-time Community Director
- 2 Resident Advisors (student staff)
- 1 Office Services Clerk
- 15 Community Assistants (student staff)
|To Apply To Live In The Thompson|
Please complete a residence hall application and select The Thompson as your housing preference.
After completing the residence hall application, notify Erin Wiseman at firstname.lastname@example.org that your first preference is The Thompson. Please note that since The Thompson is only open to CFPCA students, it is not part of the general Housing online room/roommate selection process. For this reason, Erin will work with you on room and CFPCA roommate preference.
Special note for incoming first-year students: To live in The Thompson, you must participate in the CFPCA Living Learning Community. In addition to the residence hall application, please learn about this first year learning community and apply if you are interested.
Take a look around
The Thompson, Room #
4756 Cass Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
- Residence Hall
- Community bathrooms
- ~55 CFPCA students.
- Voluntary for upper-class students
- Mandatory for first-year students
- Reception area with fireplace
- 3 community kitchens with a full-size refrigerator, oven/stove, microwave, and dining areas
- ADA Rooms Available
- Secure Wireless Internet
- Card building and room entry
- Green space and bike racks
- Fully-equipped on-site laundry facilities
- Free cable TV available
- 24/7 permit parking in Structure 8