Located across Cass Avenue from Old Main, the historic Thompson Home is part of the University's "Arts on Cass" project. Refurbished in 2016 with the fine, performing and communication arts in mind as "The Thompson", this residence hall contains specialized spaces throughout. Historic features such as fireplaces and a formal reception lounge have been preserved. Most rooms are doubles with three floors offering kitchenette and dining spaces and comfortable lounges with bay windows.
The Thompson is open exclusively to undergraduate students in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts (CFPCA). One floor is reserved for First Year students who are interested in participating in CFPCA's First Year Living Learning Community.
At The Thompson, students in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts live together in a unique setting that fosters community with fellow creatives and supports students as they prepare for their professional futures.
The Thompson offers unique amenities that foster collaboration and learning for CFPCA students. These include:
- Community room with sprung floor, mobile projection equipment, and storage areas
- Gallery space with directional lighting
- Collaborative room with floor-to-ceiling writing wall, mobile tables and projection equipment
- Multi-station video editing studio
- Sound insulated practice booths
Building staff information
- 1 full time Community Director
- 2 Resident Advisors (student staff)
- 1 Office Services Clerk
- 15 Community Assistants (student staff)
Take a look around
The Thompson, Room #
4756 Cass Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
- Residence Hall
- Community bathrooms
- ~55 Upper-class CFPCA students.
- Reception area with fire place
- 3 community kitchens with a full-size refrigerator, oven/stove, microwave, and dining areas
- ADA Rooms Available
- Secure Wireless Internet
- Card building and room entry
- Green space and bike racks
- Fully equipped on-site laundry facilities
- Free cable TV available
- 24/7 permit parking in Structure 8 or Parking Lot 60
2018-19 Semester rates
|$4,191||Single occupancy rooms|
|$3,136||Double occupancy rooms|
|$2,704||Triple occupancy rooms|