First Year Resident Experience
Be part of an exclusive, first year only community that will help you develop your identity as a Warrior. In the FYRE community, you will be supported in your success, experience Midtown Detroit, and make friendships that last a lifetime all while living on campus.
FYRE calls the newly- renovated Chatsworth Suites home and is located in the heart of campus. While your suite may be steps away from your classes, labs, libraries, and other helpful resources, the FYRE program brings even more resources, fun, and support right into your building. Join today by selecting the First Year Resident Experience on your 2022-23 housing application!
Benefits of FYRE
- Connect with other first-year students experiencing similar transitions to college
- Special social events to help you connect with campus and build life-long friends
- Direct access to university resources right where you live!
- Increased peer-to-peer support through your Resident Advisors and Peer Mentors
Programs and resources
- FYS 1010: Learning with the Brain in Mind
- Live and learn along side your neighbors while taking your Wayne Experience coures - First Year Seminar (FYS) 1010 - Learning with the Brain in Mind. We have collaborated with the Academic Success Center to have FYRE-only sections for residents of this community.
- Learn more about FYS 1010 here!
- Social Events
- Enjoy events designed with your interests in mind
- Meet other residents living in your community and help build your floor's culture
- In-hall office hours from the following departments:
- Academic Success Center
- Learning Communities
- Peer Assisted Learning & Tutoring
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Undergraduate Advising
- and more!
- In-hall peer support through Resident Advisors and Peer Mentors
- Specialized academic success events to kick start and sustain your success as a student
- Activities with faculty and staff
- On-site tutoring
- "Adulting 101" learning opportunities throughout the Winter semester to prep you for sophomore living
In an effort to remove barriers for students who wish to live on campus in the First Year Residential Experience (FYRE) community, the Office of Housing & Residential Life is offering a limited number of need-based scholarships. If you are a first-year student living on campus and have a confirmed room assignment in FYRE in Chatsworth Suites, you will automatically be considered for this award. Awards will be made on a rolling basis starting on June 1.
Benefits of living in the newly renovated Chatsworth Suites:
- Newly-renovated historic building designed with the student lifestyle in mind.
- Double-occupancy (two-person bedroom) suites with large shared common areas.
- In-suite washroom and shower facilities.
- Spacious study lounges throughout the building.
- Social lounges with space for activities, featuring games like table tennis.
- Large community gathering spaces.
- Kitchenettes on each floor.
- Specialized dining options.